Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Governors are mostly men, aren't they daddy?


On our way back from the cabin today, Catie and I stopped at the State Capitol for lunch. We toured the second floor where there are portraits of Oregon Governors.
I pointed out Bob Straub -- standing next to the Willamette, which he helped clean up.
Tom McCall -- who in some ways was responsible for me coming to Oregon.
Barbara Roberts -- with whom I would drink beer at Jonathans at times.
Julius Meier -- whose family started Meirer and Frank.
Vic Ateyah: probably the kindest elected official I met. Many times at lunch he would join us at the lunch table.

Later a friend who works in the governor's office got us into the private office where my ten year old was able to sit in the governor's chair.

As we drove home, Catie said, "most of the governor's are men, aren't they? -- and all of the presidents."

Pregnant pause by dad...

"Times are changing dear. We may have a woman president soon."

No comments: