Sunday, March 26, 2006

Captain Joe and the hunt for razor clams

One

One great thing about Joe -- he gets me to places I wouldn't otherwise go. I would have been content last Sunday to sit in my cabin and read. But Joe organized a clam hunt. My fam was excited -- but I said, I am the only one who actually has gone clamming.

From the time I was six months old, my folks and brother would go to Birch Bay and dig clams.

Mom said she would put me on an overturned bucket and let me watch.

Her friend, Vera Porter would sometimes come. It is said she would cut open a raw clam on the beach and tear out a piece of clam muscle and pop it in my mouth, calling it salty gum.

Fast forward to present. The fam was excited about doing this new thing.

But we got to the beach, hung out and watched Greg L, Joe and Rob do the harvesting -- quite a sight in their waiders.

The Parker fam didn't get a single clam -- but that was fine. We enjoyed a great day on the beach with our friends.

And our dog -- loved the run on the beach.

No comments: