Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Chess as a metaphor for life

It happened the other night when Catie asked me to play a game of chess

I had picked up a nice chess set in Mexico for the kids. We have it out all the time and it gets used every other day.

It was Catie's turn. She moved her Bishop to a square. Then it happened. She thought about the consequence -- and moved it back.

There are many things I want to teach my kids to prepare them for life. One of the most important is the ability to anticipate consequences. It is such a handy life skill.

I see the kids growing -- knowing the days until college are limited. They are such confident young people. Able to vacation with others on their own. Ricky will be traveling to New York this spring with his grandparents. Catie is becoming her own woman more every day.

There are times, I suppose, when every parent worries he or she isn't doing enough to guide, tutor and model. And then there are times when I marvel at what wonderful people they've become -- with my help, or even in spite of it.

No comments: