Thursday, October 12, 2006

Texas communications conference for Greg

– writing in the plane, somewhere over….well, clouds.
Talked about a packed bus….I mean plane.
Greyhound buses had more room and less people.
I guess this is how you run a profitable airline.

Funny morning. Got up earlier than I thought needed, but figured it would be nice to have some extra time.

Parked the car, took the shuttle bus into the terminal. Used the ATM-like kiosk – and had the departure time pop up…6:15.
Interesting. My confirmation said 7:15 – and here it was 5:45.
Counter clerk helped me get my act together.
Hustled down to the security.
Went through security quickly – I am thinking more people are checking luggage rather than taking on board. Makes security faster. Plus, folks are getting used to security so they are more prepared.

Anyhow, hustled down to the plane. Got in the middle seat, full plane.

So now I am listening to Dixie Chicks on my headphones and writing.

The best part of the week was preparing for my presentation here at the communications conference.
I love to combine visual images with concepts…using humor to bring focus and attention. It is a joyful activity.
It was so much fun doing what I do well, preparing to share, to teach, to entertain, to transpose images with concepts, to unveil my understanding of communications to others. Best day ever.
It’s one of the things that I love about our new Mac. The software is so cool. What I would really like is to import into the Mac some of my original home movies from Evergreen and remaster them with audio, photos and effects.

I remember as a kid, watching TV with an empty paper towel roller over an eye and pretending to be a TV cameraman, guessing what the next shot would be. Telling stories with pictures.
It’s funny, for someone who worked on his vocabulary and public speaking all his life – my passion is to tell stories with images – and songs. Docu- ? Docu-music videos?
I think it might be because images to the eye are a purer or more direct way to the soul than words.
Words must be processed. Their meanings nuanced.
Images are different.
More primal – is it a stick or a snake?
Can this hurt me? Does it mean something? What does
it remind me of?



Day 2 in Texas


Presentation went very well. I pushed myself to try new things…not to look at the slide….to go to a new slide and not say anything until it sunk in…so it was a personal best for me.
Wonder if I can post PowerPoint slides to the blog.


My dinner last night was incredible….they called it Adobe pie.
Corn mesa muffin with meat and cheese and peppers inside
http://www.bluemesagrill.com/

the area it was located creeped me out.
It was like Stepford or main street Disneyland….or like Bridgeport, but a full city, city hall, banks, condos….all built at same time.
A local guy I chatted with said the area is growing so fast that new ‘cities’ have no town center….so they invent one from scratch. Doesn’t seem real.
City Hall looks like the one from Back to the Future.
I even got to the point where I wondered if the leaves on the street had been placed thee.
Ran into a guy who works for the Golf TV network. Crazy job – setting up a week before an event.
He is married to a lady from Beleize. Dark Jamacan looks.
Their daughter has golden hair in braids, like chocolate coloring and her father’s steel blue eyes. She is four and a half – she told me.

No comments: