Saturday, July 15, 2006

My secret junkyard salad recipe -- revealed

Here on the laptop. My black lab at my side. Good news -- the butterfly bush came back from the fierce trimming by Augusto. It's now blooiming and there are even a few buttflys around.
A reflective day. Nothing to do untul this afternoon when I make my junkyard salad for a dinner party.
A neighbor gave it that term because of how much I toss into it.
I guess there are two elements to it:
One, everything is cut to a small size -- no stew size pieces of carrots.
Second, I begin with a goo in the bottom of my huge wooden salad bowl -- goo make of evoo, garlic, grated ginger, red wine vinegar, ground seasoned pepper and ground sea salt.
I have about of cup of that.
Then I start tossing in cut up pieces (in this order)
carrots
green onions
tiny tiny cut up pieces of red onion
celery
tiny florets of brocolli
radishes
then i let the stuff marinate in the goo while I cut up organic lettuce (yes, I do find a difference in taste)
spinich (baby leaves)
prepare toppings: cut up pieces of crispy chicken, small pieces of good pepper bacon, toasted pine nuts, craisens, sunflower seeds, shreded chedder and parimsan.
Just before serving:
pour goo and stuff into second bowl.
put lettuce in main bowl.
toss lettuce with some goo (not too much)
then pour goo bowl of stuff over top.
get out croutons -- smash with fist on bag so that half of the croutons are pulverized and end up sticking to lettuce like a coating
then cheeses
bacon
nuts
cilantro topping,
light final toss and enjoy.

No comments: