Friday, February 24, 2006

goodbye to a fine Irish lass

We noticed that we hadn't recieved a Christmas

card from the Cliffords this year. Francesca and I had kept in touch over the ten years since we worked together in the higher education communications office. I even tried to hire her to work for me -- she accepted -- but then her boss paid her more and she stayed. She thanked me for the raise. Now, with an employee heading out on maternity leave, I wondered if Francesca was available. Phone disconnected at the college where she had worked. Maybe she was at home. I called and got a young teenaged girl's voice.
"Is Francesca there, " I asked. A pause. "No, she died."
I apologized for...interupting. I didn't know what to say.
I looked in the Oregonians obits and found hers from April 15. Dead at 45. I don't know the details. I do recall 2 years ago Francesca saying she had breast surgery. Complained about how the stitches hurt -- but how she was happy with her remade "front end." So, I am guessing it returned -- in a big way.
I loved being around Francesca. Full of life and Irish sass. Francesca, my dear, I raise a pint to your memory.

No comments: